Variable Duration to Show Increased Speed (MS Project)

• In MS Project, is there a way to show the improvement in duration of a repeated task using a variable duration? The project I am working on has multiple tasks that happen over and over again. Over time, we expect the task to be completed faster and faster as the team gets better at preforming the task. Is there a way to do this in MS Project? (Example: task 2 duration = 0.9*task 1 duration)

• I would load a single work package for that task that would span the duration assuming a duration savings after so many times that action is done. For example, if your planning assumption is a savings of 10% after 10 times that action is done, and you perform four sets of that action, your duration might be 34 days instead of 40 days with no efficiency.

enter image description here

This chart shows an example of this repeating task with efficiency and without. I used the example of a task repeating five times with a ten day duration (no efficiency) and with a 39 day duration (with efficiency). I assumed a 10% savings after the completion of each task.

Doing it this way, I do not need to lead a decreasing duration with multiple work packages. Instead, it is a single work package that spans the entire duration and I simply calculated the efficiency across time based on the efficiency planning assumption.

I hope this helps.

Suggested Topics