Adding user stories to nearly complete features?

• I am a new PM. My company uses Rally for project management. I'm not too sure if this is a standard across platforms, but in Rally you can assign user stories to a parent feature.

My team has been working through features for our upcoming release. Most of these features are complete or near completion. I have been meeting stakeholders on a weekly basis to demo the tool and have received quite a bit of feedback on what needs to be added to the tool before the release.

My question is - should I add user stories with this new additional functionality to (almost) complete features? Or would it be a better option to create a new feature and dump all the new user stories in that?

My gut feeling in the former. It puts the new functionality/user stories in the correct feature categories which is easier to track and keeps everything organized. The con is, adding new stories to completed and now inactive features may turn them into 'incomplete' features. It's like revisiting the past.

Any advice is appreciated!

• Requirements evolve as the project progresses

Welcome to pm.stackexchange!

You said:

I have been meeting stakeholders on a weekly basis to demo the tool and have received quite a bit of feedback on what needs to be added to the tool before the release.

This is common and natural for any software.

Users don't know what they want until they see it.

Even with good input from the users no amount of analysis of user requirements can take away an immutable fact that users only think that they know what they want. In truth, it’s not until they start seeing something, and using it, that they begin to really understand what they need. This is especially true when the software is being developed for a new idea or process that they haven’t used before.

Next, when you roll-out your application for pilot trials, you will receive more feedback from actual users. Meaning your features are never going to be complete. So, go ahead and add these user stories to the appropriate features.

Suggested Topics