What is a good example of a project to use to demonstrate how to build a Microsoft Project Schedule

• I want to train a few new team members in the use of Microsoft Project. All are familiar with the basics but I want to explain WBS hierarchy and predecessors. I am trying to think of an 'every day life' example of a project that most people would agree on the contents and logic so we can use this to build a plan together. I have used 'cook a meal' previously, but would prefer something over longer timescale.

• I think the best example would be building a house (image source😞

enter image description here

Although people might not have built houses before, they have seen it happen at some point or another, and there is a good familiarity with the concept since we all live in houses :).

And it's also a good model to use because it allows you to go in as wide or as deep as necessary to explain various concepts. There are also dependencies between each part (since you can't build the walls without a foundation, or the roof without the walls, etc), you might need to add buffers to your schedule (because of the weather, for example). There is also procurement of materials, if you want to throw that in the mix too, and so on.

Suggested Topics